|TITLE:||Medical Assistant I||DEPARTMENT||Clinic|
|REPORTS TO:||Clinic Manager||JOB CODE||00000|
Under the supervision of the Clinic Manager, the Medical Assistant I is responsible for providing basic nursing care to patients under the direct supervision of a licensed medical staff member (e.g. registered nurse or medical doctor). The MA I will perform various clerical duties relating to the provision of care.
- Assists the Clinic Manager with maintaining patient flow including receiving/greeting patients; locating charts via EMR system; checking/making appointments; answering the telephone; and referring patients to appropriate person
- When called upon, takes action(s) necessary to maintain smooth patient flow and informs Clinic Manager of issues affecting the ability to deliver timely patient care within industry standards
- Assists the Clinic Manager with training new staff
- At the direction of a licensed medical professional, performs basic nursing procedures as needed to maintain proper flow including:
- Checking/recording patients’ vital signs
- Collection/labeling of laboratory specimens in accordance with laws and policies
- Packages and sends specimens in the specified manner for transport or storage
- Administering immunizations
- Assisting doctors with examinations and other procedures relating to direct patient care
- Maintains complete and accurate patient records, including entering data into the computer, ensuring proper documentation of all procedures
- Attends and actively participates in all team and staff meetings and related continuing education programs
- Performs a wide variety of clerical duties including: preparing routine correspondence, filing, photocopying, faxing, and answering the telephone and directing calls as needed
- Receives and treats all patients with the utmost respect and professionalism
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Operations Director and/ Medical Director, in the absence of the Clinic Manager
- ALL secondary duties are superceded by the need to provide floor MA coverage
The incumbent in this position does not have supervisory responsibility.
All employees are expected to provide the very highest level of service to Clinic patients and their families. In addition, their work ethic is expected to reflect the Islamic values and moral principles that inspired its founders. These include the core values that are universally shared and revered by society at large:
The environment for this position is medical clinic that is clean and comfortable. It may include some minor annoyances such as noise, odors, drafts, etc. The incumbent is in a non-confined setting in which he or she is free to move about at will.
The employee may occasionally be exposed to emotionally upset patients/family members and be required to use personal protective equipment when participating in the treatment of patients with potentially communicable diseases.
In the course of performing this work, the incumbent:
- Will spend substantial time standing, sitting, speaking and listening
- Will reach, stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, lift supplies and equipment
- Must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move patients for which he/she must obtain assistance
- Must use personal protective supplies/equipment in accordance with policies
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
|Lifting _____ lb.||30 lb.||Eye-Hand Coordination||C|
|Carrying _____ lb.||30 lb.||Foot-Hand-Eye Coordination||O|
|Pushing _____ lb.||200 lb.||Other _________________|
|Stooping||Acuity – Near||C|
|Kneeling||R||Acuity – Far||C|
|Turning/Twisting||F||Field of Vision||C|
|Bending at Waist||F||Other________________|
EQUIPMENT & SOFTWARE OPERATION
The incumbent in this position may operate any/all of the following equipment:
- Telephone, cell phone, fax
- Computer, printer and related equipment
- Copy machine
- Standard medical equipment such as blood pressure cuff, thermometer, scales, stethoscope
- Personal protective equipment as supplied by the Clinic
Computer software may include any or all of the following:
- Patient Record and Billing software
To perform effectively in this position, the incumbent must have:
- Medical Assistant training and certificate of completion
- A minimum of 2 consecutive years’ experience working as a Medical Assistant I or higher
- Phlebotomy experience/skill
- CPR certification: Adult, Child, Infant including obstructed airway
- Working knowledge of Clinic policies and procedures
- Basic clerical skills, including the use of a personal computer
- Familiarity with HIPPA and OSHA regulations and an ability to maintain absolute discretion over highly sensitive patient information.
- Very effective people skills including oral communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with people of diverse cultures, ages and economic backgrounds
- Bilingual skills in English/Spanish – both written and verbal
Typically, these skills are the result of completion of a combination of appropriate medical assistant training and a minimum of two years of experience in front and back office clinic procedures.
I have been given a copy of this position description. I understand that I may be asked to perform responsibilities and duties not listed in the description and that my supervisor may change the description at any time, according to Clinic needs.